Following the guidance issued by the Archbishops of Canterbury and York yesterday in the light of the Covid-19 crisis and the Bishop of London, all church buildings in London have been closed until further notice to reduce the spread of the virus.
This is clearly a very sad step to be forced to take as corporate worship at St Stephen Walbrook and working to project the gospel into our City are great joys and privileges for so many of us.
These unexpected, strange times however present opportunities for us to draw together and express ourselves as members of the Body of Christ in new and different ways. The situation is fluid and guidance may change, however the current proposals for ministry and interaction are set out below:
- Church office – The church is now closed. As far as possible, the church team will work from home and so response-times to messages left on the phone may be extended.
- Social Media – Please follow us on Twitter (@StStephenEC4N) or Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ststephenec4n/) for regular updates, prayers and readings throughout the day.
- START:STOP will be recorded each week and released on Tuesday morning. The text of the reflections will also be made available.
- Morning Prayer by conference call will be held each Wednesday morning at 9am. All are invited to dial in on 0330 9981 320 – access code 464351hash. This will include prayers that have been submitted during the week to me.
- The Thursday Eucharist will be celebrated in private. We are looking into recording/streaming this service. The text of the service will also be made available.
- A weekly bulletin will be circulated.
- Please remember that prayer requests and requests for candles to be lit in church can be made via the London Internet Church section of our website and these will be responded to:
- Also, morning and night prayer is available daily on our website via the London Internet Church (the videos change each day at 00:00 GMT)
- A group of us will make regular phone calls to members of the community who live alone. Please advise me of people of whom you are aware who would appreciate our calls.
- Daily morning and evening prayer is provided each day through the Oremus website
Please contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org if I can help in any way.
Please stay safe and well and be assured of my prayers for you and your families.
God of compassion,
be close to those who are ill, afraid, in isolation
or concerned about their jobs and businesses
In their loneliness, be their consolation;
in their anxiety, be their hope;
in their darkness, be their light;
through him who suffered alone on the cross,
but reigns with you in glory,
Jesus Christ our Lord.